Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Seattle's Underground Sex Economy Explained, In Five Points
- Why Jazz Fans Shouldn't Be So Quick To Dismiss Pop Music
- 5 Things A Local Journalist Wishes He Knew Before His Wife's Alzheimer's Diagnosis
- Washington's 'Pot Czar' Says Legal Marijuana Could Be Too Cheap
- Washington's 'Swift And Certain' Parole Reforms Getting Results And Attention
News & Music Contributors
Thu December 19, 2013
Why Washington State Was Named #1 Most Innovative State By Bloomberg
Washington state is the most innovative state in the nation, according to a new ranking by Bloomberg.
The publication ranked the states using a points system based on six criteria, which heavily favored the tech industry.
The ranking tallied the numbers of STEM professionals, innovation patents and holders of degrees in science and technology in each state. Bloomberg also considered the intensity of research and development, productivity and the gross state product based on each employed resident.
While Washington state didn’t top other states in any single category, its total score of 83.25 topped the list.
California ranked second, followed by Massachusetts. Oregon ranked fifth (see full list).