Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- Seattle Artist Turning Centuries-Old Pieces Of Wood Into One-Of-A-Kind Sculptures
News & Music Contributors
Thu August 18, 2011
Wildfire closes Highway 2 near Leavenworth
LEAVENWORTH, Wash. – About 90 firefighters are working to contain a 100-acre blaze that is burning in steep terrain northeast of Leavenworth and has forced the closure of Highway 2.
The fire is burning in a mix of grass, shrubs and conifers about 6 miles from Leavenworth. No structures have burned or are threatened by the fire.
Highway 2 remains closed between milepost 84 and milepost 99. Vehicles are being detoured onto the Chumstick Highway.
U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Susan Peterson says Highway 2 will remain closed Thursday while firefighters work to contain the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.