Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Seattle Business Owners Turn To An Unlikely Source Of Consultants: UW Undergrads
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
News & Music Contributors
Thu August 18, 2011
Wildfire closes Highway 2 near Leavenworth
LEAVENWORTH, Wash. – About 90 firefighters are working to contain a 100-acre blaze that is burning in steep terrain northeast of Leavenworth and has forced the closure of Highway 2.
The fire is burning in a mix of grass, shrubs and conifers about 6 miles from Leavenworth. No structures have burned or are threatened by the fire.
Highway 2 remains closed between milepost 84 and milepost 99. Vehicles are being detoured onto the Chumstick Highway.
U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Susan Peterson says Highway 2 will remain closed Thursday while firefighters work to contain the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.