Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Wildfire closes US Highway 97, forces evacuations in Wash.
YAKIMA, Wash. — A wildfire has closed U.S. Highway 97 between Goldendale and Toppenish and is threatening about 30 homes.
Jim Duck of the state Department of Natural Resource told the Yakima Herald-Republic (http://bit.ly/riK3qF) that the fire is burning in a forested area near Brooks Memorial State Park, about 3 miles west of the Satus Pass summit.
Residents on Satus Pass are being evacuated. Firefighters from the state and Klickitat County are battling the blaze.
The National Weather Service has issued a red flag warning for high wildfire danger over most of Washington's Cascades and Olympics through Wednesday night because of warm, dry conditions.