Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Seattle Business Owners Turn To An Unlikely Source Of Consultants: UW Undergrads
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
News & Music Contributors
Thu December 19, 2013
Woman Who Got Secret Santa Gift From Bill Gates: Sorry About The iPad On My Wishlist
One woman's secret Santa this holiday season turned out to be one of the richest men in the world: Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates.
The gift exchange happened through the website Reddit's secret Santa event, in which users swap presents across the country.
A spokesman for Gates confirmed he participated. Spokesman John Pinette says the billionaire philanthropist wanted to engage with Reddit's community and promote Heifer International, a foundation that provides seeds and animals to people in need in the developing world.
The woman, identified only as Rachel, wrote in a blog post that she was surprised to find out Gates was her Secret Santa.
"My god. Never in my entire life did I imagine, ever, ever, ever that Bill would get me," she wrote. "I feel SO shocked and excited that not only did I receive a gift from Bill, but it was perfectly and EXACTLY tuned into my interests."
She received a stuffed cow toy, a signed card, a National Geographic travel book and a $500 donation to Heifer International in her name.
"Ps: Sorry for the apple ipad on my wishlist, that was really awkward," the woman wrote in follow-up post on Reddit.