electrocuted dog

Public Safety
7:08 am
Wed January 19, 2011

Seattle City Light finds 56 streetlights with voltage issues

Street light near condos in the Belltown neighborhood of Seattle.
Paula Wissel

Seattle City Light has identified 56 streetlights in the Seattle area that could give off potentially dangerous voltage.  That’s the final tally from an inspection of nearly 37,000 metal streetlights for voltage issues.

Read more
Street lights
1:50 am
Wed January 5, 2011

More bad light poles in Seattle

More problems have been discovered with Seattle City Light poles and sidewalk plates
Gary Davis

Seattle’s ongoing inspection of streetlights has turned up more dangerous structures.  But city officials insist the potential harm to people and pets is minimal. 

Seattle City Light began testing all 30 thousand metal lights and sidewalk covers after a dog was electrocuted on Queen Anne Hill in November.  The metal plate the dog stepped on was emitting 90 volts of electricity.  Frayed wires were the problem.  

Read more
Public Safety
1:44 pm
Wed December 15, 2010

After dog electrocuted, Seattle finds three faulty streetlights

The base of a metal streetlight and City Light metal vault cover on 5th Avenue in Belltown. After a dog was electrocuted last month through a plate and light conveying voltage, the city is inspecting 20,000 lights and connections.
Gary Davis/KPLU

Seattle City Light inspectors have discovered potentially dangerous voltage present in three streetlights, a situation under scrutiny since a dog was electrocuted Thanksgiving Day on Queen Anne. "Sammy" was on a walk with his owner when he stepped on a metal plate cover at the base of a streetlight on Queen Anne Avenue. 

The lights have been shut off to the three lights until repairs can be made.

Read more