First Hill

Public Safety
1:44 pm
Wed December 15, 2010

After dog electrocuted, Seattle finds three faulty streetlights

The base of a metal streetlight and City Light metal vault cover on 5th Avenue in Belltown. After a dog was electrocuted last month through a plate and light conveying voltage, the city is inspecting 20,000 lights and connections.
Gary Davis/KPLU

Seattle City Light inspectors have discovered potentially dangerous voltage present in three streetlights, a situation under scrutiny since a dog was electrocuted Thanksgiving Day on Queen Anne. "Sammy" was on a walk with his owner when he stepped on a metal plate cover at the base of a streetlight on Queen Anne Avenue. 

The lights have been shut off to the three lights until repairs can be made.

Read more