grill brush

Consumer Safety
5:00 am
Wed July 11, 2012

Tacoma man not alone with grill brush horror story

Images from CT scans and an X-ray show grill bristles lodged in people's digestive tract.
Centers for Disease Control

Federal regulators are looking into a health hazard that sent a Tacoma man to the hospital over the weekend.

Adam Wojtanowicz ate a grilled steak, and ended up in surgery. It had nothing to do with the meat, or even cooking with fire – no, Wojtanowicz actually ingested a metal bristle from the wire brush used to clean the grill. That little whisker of steel can wreak havoc on the digestive system, puncturing intestines or other organs. 

It turns out to be a rare but not unique injury.

Read more